The Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 CLEP exam covers material that is usually taught in the first semester of a two-semester course in Western civilization. Questions deal with the civilizations of Ancient Greece, Rome, and the Near East; the Middle Ages; the Renaissance and Reformation; and early modern Europe.
The examination contains approximately 120 questions to be answered in 90 minutes.
Note: This examination uses the chronological designations b.c.e. (before the common era) and c.e. (common era). The labels correspond to b.c. (before Christ) and a.d. (anno Domini), which are used in some textbooks.
The subject matter of the Western Civilization I examination is drawn from the following topics. The percentages next to the main topics indicate the approximate percentage of exam questions on that topic.
Ancient Near East (8%–10%)
- Political evolution
- Religion, culture, and technical developments in and near the Fertile Crescent
Ancient Greece and Hellenistic Civilization (15%–17%)
- Political evolution to Periclean Athens
- Periclean Athens through the Peloponnesian Wars
- Culture, religion, and thought of Ancient Greece
- The Hellenistic political structure
- The culture, religion, and thought of Hellenistic Greece
Ancient Rome (15%–17%)
- Political evolution of the Republic and of the Empire (economic and geographical context)
- Roman thought and culture
- Early Christianity
- The Germanic invasions
- The late empire
Medieval History (23%–27%)
- Byzantium and Islam
- Early medieval politics and culture through Charlemagne
- Feudal and manorial institutions
- The medieval Church
- Medieval thought and culture
- Rise of the towns and changing economic forms
- Feudal monarchies
- The late medieval church
Renaissance and Reformation (13%–17%)
- The Renaissance in Italy
- The Renaissance outside Italy
- The New Monarchies
- Protestantism and Catholicism reformed and reorganized
Early Modern Europe, 1560-1648 (10%–15%)
- The opening of the Atlantic
- The Commercial Revolution
- Dynastic and religious conflicts
- Thought and culture
User Test Results for the Western Civilization I CLEP Exam
191 users have submitted their test results to us since March 2016
180 (94.1%) of those users have reported an ACE recommended passing score
The table below represents our users most recent test results for the Western Civilization I CLEP exam after using Credits4Less.
Note: The date shown below represents the date that they reported their score to us.
|Feb 19, 2018||Pass||57|
|Feb 15, 2018||Pass||77|
|Feb 8, 2018||Pass||53|
|Feb 5, 2018||Pass||61|
|Jan 31, 2018||Pass||63|
Our Study Guide
Credits4Less’ Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 study guide will leave you fully prepared to pass your Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 CLEP exam. Our study guide is broken down to match the exact make up of the actual CLEP exam with each unit containing a set of cheat sheet notes and dozens of practice questions.