The Introductory Sociology CLEP exam is designed to assess an individual’s knowledge of the material typically presented in a one-semester introductory-level sociology course at most colleges and universities. The examination emphasizes basic facts and concepts as well as general theoretical approaches used by sociologists on the topics of institutions, social patterns, social processes, social stratifications, and the sociological perspective.
The exam contains approximately 100 questions to be answered in 90 minutes
Knowledge and Skills Required
Questions on the Introductory Sociology exam require test takers to demonstrate one or more of the following abilities. Some questions may require more than one of these abilities.
- Identification of specific names, facts, and concepts from sociological literature
- Understanding of relationships between concepts, empirical generalizations, and theoretical propositions of sociology
- Understanding of the methods by which sociological relationships are established
- Application of concepts, propositions, and methods to hypothetical situations
- Interpretation of tables and charts
The subject matter of the Introductory Sociology exam is drawn from the following topics. The percentages next to the main topics indicate the approximate percentage of exam questions on that topic.
Social Patterns (10%)
- Human ecology
- Rural/urban patterns
Social Processes (25%)
- Collective behavior and social movements
- Deviance and social control
- Groups and organizations
- Social change
- Social interaction
Social Stratification (Process and Structure) (25%)
- Power and social inequality
- Professions and occupations
- Race and ethnic relations
- Sex and gender roles
- Social class
- Social mobility
The Sociological Perspective (20%)
- History of sociology
- Sociological theory
User Test Results for the Introductory Sociology CLEP Exam
455 users have submitted their test results to us since March 2016
442 (97.3%) of those users have reported an ACE recommended passing score
The table below represents our users most recent test results for the Introductory Sociology CLEP exam after using Credits4Less.
Note: The date shown below represents the date that they reported their score to us.
|Feb 19, 2018||Pass||63|
|Feb 14, 2018||Pass||71|
|Feb 4, 2018||Pass||77|
|Feb 2, 2018||Pass||67|
|Jan 28, 2018||Pass||75|
Our Study Guide
Credits4Less’ Introductory Sociology study guide will leave you fully prepared to pass your Introductory Sociology CLEP exam. Our study guide is broken down to match the exact make up of the actual CLEP exam with each unit containing a set of cheat sheet notes and dozens of practice questions.