The Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP exam covers material usually taught in a general undergraduate course in literature. The exam doesn’t require familiarity with specific works and the questions are based on passages supplied in the test. These passages have been selected so that no previous experience with them is required to answer the questions. The passages are taken primarily from American and British literature.
The exam contains approximately 80 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 98 minutes.
Knowledge and Skills Required
Questions on the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature exam require test takers to demonstrate the following abilities.
- Ability to read prose, poetry, and drama with understanding
- Ability to analyze the elements of a literary passage and to respond to nuances of meaning, tone, imagery, and style
- Ability to interpret metaphors, to recognize rhetorical and stylistic devices, to perceive relationships between parts and wholes, and to grasp a speaker’s or author’s attitudes
- Knowledge of the means by which literary effects are achieved
- Familiarity with the basic terminology used to discuss literary texts
The exam emphasizes comprehension, interpretation, and analysis of literary works
35%–45% Prose (fiction and nonfiction)
50%–65% British Literature
30%–45% American Literature
5%–15% Works in translation
3%–7% Classical and pre-Renaissance
20%–30% Renaissance and 17th Century
35%–45% 18th and 19th Centuries
25%–35% 20th and 21st Centuries
User Test Results for the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP Exam
321 users have submitted their test results to us since March 2016
301 (93.8%) of those users have reported an ACE recommended passing score
The table below represents our users most recent test results for the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP exam after using Credits4Less.
Note: The date shown below represents the date that they reported their score to us.
|Feb 19, 2018||Pass||61|
|Feb 15, 2018||Pass||62|
|Feb 1, 2018||Pass||58|
|Jan 27, 2018||Pass||70|
|Jan 20, 2018||Pass||59|
Our Study Guide
Credits4Less’ Analyzing and Interpreting Literature study guide will leave you fully prepared to pass your Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP exam. Our study guide is broken down to match the exact make up of the actual CLEP exam with each unit containing a set of cheat sheet notes and dozens of practice questions.